Executive Order 97-04
February 6, 1997
REORGANIZATION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES
WHEREAS, the mission of the Department of Human Services is to provide and manage economically and efficiently service delivery systems in the areas of family support and health care financing and purchasing to meet basic human needs and lead to economic independence; and
WHEREAS, to manage programs and services more efficiently and effectively/ and to improve service to Rhode Island families, there must be greater coordination of health and social support services both within the Department and between the Department and sister state agencies; and
WHEREAS, recent and expected federal policy changes reducing both federal regulatory control and financial participation will require a dynamic and efficient management structure; and
WHEREAS, the Department has recently completed an internal administrative review which proposed a new management structure designed to improve information flow and decision making; and
WHEREAS, the Director of the Department of Human Services is authorized pursuant to the provisions of section 40-1-5 of the Rhode Island General Laws to reorganize, divide, consolidate abolish or otherwise reconstitute, with the approval of the Governor, any division, bureau, or other unit or agency within the Department may be desirable for the proper administration and performance of the powers, functions and duties assigned to the Department.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, LINCOLN ALMOND, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations and the provisions of sections 40-1-4 and 40-1-5 of the Rhode Island General Laws do hereby order as follows:
1. The Department of Human Services shall be reorganized to serve more efficiently and effectively the citizens of the State of Rhode Island.
2. The Office of the Director shall contain three distinct units. The Office of Health Care Quality and Assurance, under the direction of a qualified health professional, shall assure that clients receive a high standard of service from agency programs. The Office of Strategic Planning, Outreach and Policy shall facilitate policy and program development and administer community outreach/client information programs. The Purchasing Cooperative Office shall develop and administer contracts for the State's health insurance programs.
3. The Division of Veterans Affairs will administer all departmental, federal and State programs designed primarily to serve veterans and will be lead by the Executive Director of Veterans Affairs.
4. The Division of Management Services: Administration and Operations shall direct all central support functions within the Department.
5. The Division of Individual and Family Support shall administer all social support programs and services with the Department and the related processing functions.
6. The Division of Health Care Quality, Financing and Purchasing shall administer all health care related programs and services within the Department and the related processing functions.
7. Three distinct interdivisional management teams will develop departmental programs and policies: (1) Families and Children; (2) Individuals and Families with Disabilities or Mental Illness; and (3) the Elderly. Policy decisions affecting service delivery to clients will be population based rather than program based. These teams will report directly to both the Executive Director of the Division of Individual and Family Support Services and the Executive Director of the Division of Health Care Quality, Financing and Purchasing.
8. The Department Director is empowered to establish sections within any division and to take such other necessary and appropriate actions consistent with the purpose of this reorganization.
This Executive Order shall take effect immediately upon the date hereof.