Executive Order 97-06
May 7, 1997
CONTINUATION OF PARATRANSIT TASK FORCE
WHEREAS, the Governor's Paratransit Task Force (the "Task Force") to implement a statewide paratransit system was established by Executive Orders 94-5 and 95-6; and
WHEREAS, the Task Force has completed its appointed task; and
WHEREAS, the Task Force has recommended that the coordination of fixed route service and paratransic service is essential to maintaining a high quality, cost-effective transportation system chat meets the needs of Rhode Island's citizens.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, LINCOLN ALMOND, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, do hereby order as follows:
1. Executive Orders 94-5 and 95-6 shall remain in full force and effect except as revised by this Order.
2. The Task Force is now charged with developing policies and guidelines which will effectively enable the Rhode Island Public Transportation Authority to coordinate both fixed route and paratransic services chat will not only meet the needs of transportation dependent populations but also enhance the mobility opportunities of all Rhode Islanders.
3. The Task Force shall consist of up to eleven members as follows:
a) Director of the Department of Elderly Affairs, or designee, who will serve as co-chair;
b) General Manager of the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority/ or designee, who will serve as co-chair;
c) Director of the Department of Transportation, or designee;
d) Director of the Department of Mental Health, Retardation and Hospitals or designee;
e) Director of the Department of Human Services or designee;
f) Director of the Department of Administration or designee;
g) Executive Secretary of the Governor's Commission on the Handicapped; and
h) Up to four public members to be appointed by the Governor.
4. The Task Force shall develop and submit a plan to the Governor to coordinate the fixed route and paratransit systems no later than July, 1998.
5. Executive Orders 94-5 and 95-6 are superceded and rescinded by this Executive Order to the extent that their provisions are inconsistent with this Order.
This Executive Order shall take effect immediately.upon the date hereof.